With the festive season drawing close, this can only mean one thing: parties. As your house begins to fill with hustle and bustle, the pressure to whip up tasty dishes for your guests also rises.
Before you pull your hair out over what to serve your guests - or worse, guests who show up without warning - amidst all the festive hustle, read to find out more about how to prepare the following appetisers that are sure to be a hit. These are the perfect solution to your worries, and are simple and quick to make without being too heavy on the waistline.
Instead of opting for caterers and breaking the bank, simply prepare these fuss-free appetisers which are packed with nutrients and and flavour. Wait no longer to impress your friends with your prowess as a domestic goddess with these easy recipes! Read on to find out more.
Enoki bacon wrap
These insanely addictive enoki bacon wraps will definitely be a hit amongst your guests, with the savoury, juicy bacon complementing the sweetness of the enoki mushroom. The best part? This appetiser doesn’t take more than 15 minutes to prepare, and is also a low-calorie snack.
Wrap each slice of bacon with a small handful of enoki mushrooms and roll it up tightly. Secure with a toothpick if necessary.
- Garnish with pepper if desired.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees celsius, or until the bacon is cooked.
- Remove toothpicks and serve.
Rainbow fruit skewers
Not only are these a treat for your tastebuds, these are also an aesthetic treat for your guests. These eye-catching rainbow fruit skewers are incredibly simple to make, and add a refreshing touch of juiciness to your party.
- Dice up strawberries, oranges, pineapples, kiwis, red grapes and blueberries, and thread them according to the colours of the rainbow onto a few wooden skewers.
- Optional: Lay skewers out in a bed of ice to keep the fruits cold and fresh.
Tomato and Basil Bruschetta
This classic Italian appetiser is a must-have at every party. The medley of flavours of tomatoes, garlic and basil come together in a mouth-watering combination that whets the appetite and makes your guest hungry for more!
- Blanch tomatoes in boiled water for 1 minute and peel off the skin after the tomatoes have cooled.
- Cut tomatoes into quarters and remove seeds and most of the juice.
- Chop tomatoes into fine pieces and mix in minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Serve the tomato mixture on toasted baguette slices, and garnish with fresh basil.
Mango and avocado salsa
This tangy and fresh salsa is great for eating on its own, but is also delicious when served with grilled meat - your guests will be spoilt for choice!
- Dice up an avocado, a ripe mango, and a small red onion and place in a medium bowl.
- Chop up ¼ cup of fresh cilantro leaves and ½ a habanerro and add to the bowl.
- To the bowl, add 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice, a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and ½ a teaspoon of sea salt.
- Mix well and serve.
Smoked Salmon and Dill Cream Cucumber Cups
Best served chilled, these cucumber cups are a refreshing snack for your guests to cleanse their tastebuds before digging in!
- Cut a cucumber into ¾-inch-thick slices and form a depression in each slice with a small ice cream scoop to form cups.
- Drain cucumbers on paper towels for 15 minutes.
- Prepare 4 ounces of cream cheese (softened to room temperature), 2 tablespoons of chopped dill and 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Mix the cream cheese, dill, black pepper, and fresh lemon juice in a bowl.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture into the cucumber cups and top with a slice of smoked salmon.